- Our Solutions
- Our Approach
- Get Involved
- News & Media
- About Us
CEW Eco Beauty Award
Eco Beauty Award
sponsored by Givaudan
The Natural Step is pleased to be providing the assessment criteria for Cosmetic Executive Women's Eco Beauty Award. Sponsored by Givaudan, the award is a new initiative intended to reward products that demonstrate best practice and progress toward sustainability.
We are excited to work with CEW on the shortlisting of entries and assessing the submissions through the lens of The Natural Step Framework.
Rationale for the Criteria
The criteria for the Award are a direct translation of The Natural Step system conditions, which offer a credible, science-based definition of sustainability, acting as basic principles to guide actions toward the goal of a sustainable society.
Applicants are asked to demonstrate life cycle thinking and to take account of the full scope of sustainability - i.e. how does the product perform against the four sustainability principles over its lifecycle?
Using sustainability principles helps to deal with trade-offs and make strategic choices. Progress in one area of sustainability needs to be checked to ensure that it does not just transfer the problem elsewhere. For example, replacing an ingredient from a crude oil feedstock with a bio-sourced alternative may seem like a smart move. However, unless the bio-sourced alternative is sustainably sourced it merely substitutes one sustainability issue (principle 1) with another (principle 3).
- February 2011 - CEW Announces Finalists for Eco Beauty Award
- October 2010 - CEW Announces Call for 2011 Beauty Award
Resources for the Beauty Industry
- Leading the change: new industry sustainability course
- Take the next step toward sustainability with The Natural Step’s award winning one-hour sustainability e-learning program, by clicking here.
- Learn more about The Natural Step system conditions, Framework and its application, by clicking here.
- To learn how The Natural Step supports businesses with corporate sustainability and to read case studies please click here.
- Tool: Sustainability Life Cycle Assessment (SLCA)
- Tool: Probe for Sustainable Business - Best Practice Benchmarking